Saturday, February 03, 2007

Could the End Be Near?

No, I'm not talking about the end of the world, although, given the current state of world affairs, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm talking about my month-long tug-of-war with American Airlines. I know, I know...believe me, I'm tired of the whole ordeal as well. But I may finally be getting somewhere with these people, and my tenacity may soon pay off. I received their fifth response yesterday afternoon, by far their most informative and contrite response yet. Why they couldn't start here remains a mystery:

"I'm sorry that you've had to send us 6 separate occasions about the same issue. Nevertheless, I'm glad you've given us another chance to try to provide you with a satisfactory answer to your inquiry.

There is an element of sensitivity to the issue at hand. Here is our policy -- regarding the physicality of occupying the seat, if a passenger "spills" over into another passenger's seat, the flight attendant and/or gate personnel should address the situation. At that time, we can require an obese/oversize passenger to purchase a first class seat or two main cabin seats, or deny their accommodation on that flight.

Again, however, each situation is assessed on an individual basis. I'm sorry that this situation was not handled to your satisfaction at the time of the event. While we can't change what happened, I've alerted our Vice President of Flight Service.

Our flight service staff will be reminded of the importance of being aware of such situations and to do their best to resolve it.

In another attempt to make amends, I've sent you an additional transportation voucher. Please use the vouchers to travel with us again soon."

So basically the check is in the mail. I'll have to wait and see if the vouchers are worth it. Hopefully, they will at least cover a trip to Chicago, and if they don't, I'll just eat it because I'm tired. I've said all that I can say to them. If they don't get it now, they never will. Why is it that I had to be a complete jerk in order to get them to listen to me? I hate that.

I have one thing left to do. I have written a letter to American Airlines CEO and President, Gerard J. Arpey, that now needs to be revised due to the recent response from Customer Relations. I think his "Customer Relations" department needs a little bit of a shakedown.


Related Links:
I Am Not a Happy Camper
A REALLY Unhappy Camper
American Airlines...Doing What They Do Best...Irritate Customers

No comments: